02 August 2009

Pho 236: Vietnamese, Newtown (31 July 2009)

236 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042



Crispy & Tender Squid

This cheap and cheerful Vietnamese and Chinese restaurant has been serving up one of my favourite Salt & Pepper Squid dishes in Sydney — Phamish used to cook it like this but I don't find theirs as crispy anymore since their move to Palmer Street location. Good sized rustic cut pieces of crispy outer batter and tender squid inside. While dining I noticed it was also a popular choice for other customers. The restaurant is in a handy location for a bite to eat before visiting the Dendy cinemas if you're lucky enough to grab one of the tables. If you don't mind the bright fluorescent lighting it's a fairly cheap place to eat. For the first time I tried their toilets and discovered one of my personal pet hates of when a tap is set too close to the sink so you can't fit your hand under it properly. Nevertheless this won't stop me coming back again.

Where's your favourite Salt & Pepper Squid in Sydney?


Salt and Spices Squid $14
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Mixed Vegetables and Beancurd Hot Pot $8.50

Table condiments

Dining

Personal pet hate: Tap set too close to sink so can't fit hand under it.

5 comments:

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

oh looks how crispy that squid looks. I want to dive into a plate right now!

Shants said...

Oh the squid looks heavenly!

Why is it that restaurants give you very little of the fried spice/spring onion mix on top. I like a bit of that with every bite and will happily pay extra for it. Otherwise there is not so much "salt and pepper" happening for me!

Simon Leong said...

Hi Maria, it's definitely a crowd pleaser.

Hi Shants, I know what you mean. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes not. I believe Phamish provide a little bowl of Salt & Pepper mix with cumquats for you to dip your salt and pepper squid although there version isn't as crispy, I think their woks aren't hot enough http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2009/06/phamish-vietnamese-darlinghurst-23-june.html

Hannah said...

I'm a Newtown local, and I have learned, through trial & error, that this is the only place to order laksa. Don't care for the pho, though - tastes like fallow.

Simon Leong said...

hi hannah, thanks for the tip about the laksa. i might have to try next time i visit.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map