07 December 2014

Cooking tip: Use a wooden spoon to stop pots from boiling over (7 Dec 2014)


Simple and effective

Here's a simple cooking tip that everyone should know about. Use a wooden spoon to stop pots from boiling over. That's it. I've heard about this for a while but keep forgetting to do it so this is the first time I've managed to remember to try it. While cooking some pasta I watched the water come up to the top with a full boil and then pop down 3 times. The bubbles get popped by the spoon when it's about to boil over and then settles back down. I didn't think it would work so was quite excited to see it actually does work. I wish I knew about this so many times before. This is also my shortest blog post ever. I haven't had as much time lately to blog with a two year old and new born at home but I really needed to break the blogging drought. My Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are still very active and I'm finding by the time I've uploaded content to these it's back to family time or bed time. Here's hoping to blog more when I get a chance. Perhaps I need to keep my blogs short and sweet like they were when I first started blogging like my first visit to Kingsford Chinese Restaurant.

6 comments:

Nagi@RecipeTin Eats said...

YES I do this!! It really works!!

Mr C @ The Food Diary said...

Smart, I never actually thought of it!

gaby @ lateraleating said...

I learned this probably decades ago but had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me!

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Dear Simon,

Congrats on the new arrival. I have never tried this wooden spoon method.

Personally the most effective method for me is a good quality, heavy base deep stock pot / cast iron pot. Bringing the contents to a rolling boil, then setting it at that "magical" temperature with the lid on that enables soups and stews to simmer away for hours.

DroolWorthyWorld said...

Great tip! I should totally try that next time I'm boiling water! :O

Simon Leong said...

hi nagi, glad it works for you too.

hi mr c, hope it's helpful next time you're cooking pasta or rice

hi gaby, i keep learning about it too and then keep forgetting. hopefully the blog post will help me remember every time now :-)

hi chopinandmysaucepan, good quality pots would probably work too as long as you remember to reduce the heat but this is a safety measure just in case

hi droolworthyworld, hope it works for you too :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map